Thursday, November 3, 2011

Perhaps a little known perk of farming

     Being a dairyman requires many things. Long hours, and working 7 days most weeks are just some of the requirements. However with these heavy responsibilities come a few perks.... 
     My wife and I were discussing these today on our drive up to attend a few meetings. These meetings just happen to be held in the resort town of Park City. As with most of the meetings we are fortunate enough to attend, they know how to treat us farmers to a rare nice night out. There are a few annual meetings that we look forward to every year. As I get older I'm sure the meetings will continue to increase.
     Farming and agriculture have taken me and my family to places I never would have dreamed that it would. Nashville, Washington D.C, and even Florida, just to name a few. An upcoming trip I'm looking forward to will be my first trip over seas. Our local New Holland tractor dealer is taking a group of us to London & Belgium to see their large machinery assembly plants.
     I feel very blessed and lucky to do what I do. Farmers are one of, if not the hardest working group of people in the world! Its nice to enjoy a few perks from that hard work every now and then.

8 comments:

  1. I am jealous. Would love to go to England. You'll have to write a bunch of posts about that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes posts from that trip will be plentiful. I almost felt bad/guilty writing this post, but someone encouraged me to post t anyway. Life's meant to be enjoyed right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need to feel guilty :) It speaks to the nature of farmers. We can't go home and get away from work- we wake up and are surrounded by it. And the time we do spend away from the farm still relates to agriculture, it's just a welcome change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right James, especially living right on the dairy. Days off at home ad non-existent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No need to feel guilty. I'm excited for you. You deserve all the good fortune & blessings that come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! The most fantastic thing is to be able to attend "business" meeting with the spouse and sometimes having the kids tag along... We are certainly privileged and blessed that we can be surrounded by our family at work. Have a great time in Europe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, this is so true! "Farmers are one of, if not the hardest working group of people in the world!" Thanks for putting yourself out there through blogging and the social media! I am trying to get a dairy farmer (my dad) in Iowa up and going, sharing his story through the use of Twitter. Maybe you can help him out- give him a tweet @iadairyguy

    ReplyDelete