Sunday, August 28, 2011

Jumping in head first!

     Well let me first say that I never thought Id be a blogger. Of course I never thought that my tweets would earn me a trip to Nashville either! That's where this blogging idea really grabbed on. The agchat foundation conference (ACFC11) on social media in agriculture inspired me to tell my story.
   I'm a lifelong farmer! This farm has been in our family for 5 generations and the dairy for 4.  I guess you could say that farming is in my blood, its all Ive ever known.  My earliest memories on the dairy are of carrying grain and milk buckets to young calves. We had wild turkeys that would chase me around and add to the excitement.  As i grew older my responsibilities grew also. I usually learned by jumping in head first. One particular memory is when were short handed chopping hay. I was too small to drive truck, so my uncle stuck me in the chopper, rode one round with then said "you'll figure it out". Learning by doing, thats how we do it down here on the farm.
     Originally my social Media adventures started as @bowndairyman on twitter, and now enough of you have asked, so I'm no longer limiting myself to 140 characters! I cant guarantee how often or regular I'll keep this updated (probably more frequently during winter months) but Ive got a few good ideas for some hopefully intriguing posts and pics. Let me know if there is anything pertaining to the dairy, farming, or any other areas of the Ag industry that you would like me to ramble on about.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging crowd! I'm sure you'll do great! Pushing publish on the first post was the toughest thing for me so you have that behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great name for your blog. I look forward to reading more about your dairy farm. Keep the posts coming.

    judi @ farmnwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting the blog up and running Trent and overcoming the biggest hurdle...the first post! Love the blog title and good first post. I look forward to your future posts and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire anyone who tries new things. I trust you will enjoy blogging. I do. May I follow along. Not a farmer, like to read blogs and learn from others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blogging Trent! Way to get started. I'm your first follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kate & all! Please feel free to give me advice, & spread the word. Hopefully I can gain followers here as quickly as I did on Twitter. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see your start on the blog. I will visit to learn more about your operation. Congratulations on the launch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i would like to see a post about how you use almond hulls in your operation trent... ;-) great seeing you blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you start blogging. I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see ya blogging Trent! Looking forward to reading about work in your part of the country!

    ReplyDelete